Permesso di soggiorno [residence permit] (PdS)

What is a permesso di soggiorno?
This is a document that authorises you to stay in Italy on an official basis. It can be paper or electronic A permesso di soggiorno elettronico [electronic residence permit] (PSE) is a magnetic card with a microchip that holds the permit holder's personal details, photograph and fingerprints in digital form.

Where and how can you get one?
It is issued by the local Questura [police headquarters].
Its duration varies depending on the reason for issue.
Some permits must be requested by mail (using a special pack) and others have to be applied for directly in the Questura.
Foreigners applying for the issue/renewal of a permesso di soggiorno are photographically documented (photograph + fingerprints); once the required documents have been checked, a receipt is issued with a code that can be used to check application status online* and find out when the permit is ready.
*Link 1 (PdS applied for from front-office)
*Link 2 (PdS applied for using mailing pack)

How much does it cost to issue/renew a PdS?
The documents required vary according to the type of permit applied for.
TAn electronic permesso di soggiorno (PSE) applied for using a mailing pack requires the payment of 30.00€ (mailing pack) + 30.46 (fee for the PSE) + a possible variable fee depending on the permesso di soggiorno duration (in some cases this fee is not required).

What documents do you need?
The documents required vary according to the type of permit applied for.
The following are always required: four photographs + photocopy of passport (personal details + every page containing visas) + one €16 marca da bollo [revenue stamp] and a receipt for payment of the required costs.

International protection application

What is it?
Application for recognition of refugee status under the 1951 Geneva Convention on Refugees, or other forms of international protection.

Where can you apply for it?
You can apply for international protection to the Border Police on entry into Italy or to the Immigration Office of the Questura in charge of the area where you are staying.

How do you apply for it?
To apply for international protection, you must identify yourself (photographic documentation) and, with the aid of a linguistic and cultural mediator, you must fill out form C3 with your details and those of your family (parents + any spouse and children present in Italy), information on the journey from your country of origin to Italy (times, stages, means of transport and so on) and the reasons why you left your country You can attach a written report and documents or choose to explain your reasons directly to the Territorial Commission that will interview you to find out whether you are entitled to protection recognition.
You will be given a copy of your C3 form together with your first provisional six-month permesso di soggiorno, which can be renewed if the formalities have not been completed. The first permit will indicate your personal details, a temporary codice fiscale [tax code] (numerical) and the address where you are staying and where all correspondence relating to your case will be sent.
If you have a passport, you must hand it over to the Police, who will return it to you once your case has been dealt with. As an asylum seeker, you cannot leave Italy.

Rights/duties of asylum seekers.

- if you have no means of support, you are entitled to ask the Prefettura [Prefecture] to be housed in a reception centre together with your family members (spouse/partner, children, parents etc.) until your application and any appeal are finalised. The Prefecture will decide which centre you will stay in;
- you are entitled to be kept informed about your rights and duties in a language that you understand;
- you are entitled to free, mandatory registration with the NHS for you and your family members;
- you are entitled to attend Italian language and education courses;
- you can apply for residency in the town where you live (in accordance with the rules for registering with the Anagrafe [resident population registry]);
- 60 days after issue of your first permesso di soggiorno, you are entitled to work and can sign up with the employment centre of the Comune [municipality] where you are domiciled/resident.

- you must hand over your passport to the Police when you apply for international protection;
- you cannot leave Italy;
- you must provide a reliable address for correspondence from the Questura and Prefettura;
- you must attend the Territorial Commission hearing;
- you must comply with Italian laws;
- if you are hosted in a Temporary Reception Centre (CAS) or centre run by the Protection System for Asylum Seekers and Refugees (SPRAR), you must respect the centre’s rules and times. You must go back to sleep there every night and not go away for days without specific authorisation. You cannot take alcohol, drugs or weapons into the centre and you cannot use violence against other people.
The Prefecture may decide to exclude you from the centre if: you commit a crime or do not respect the rules of the centre or if you behave violently and dangerously; you do not attend the Commission hearing; you have applied for protection in Italy in the past; you are able to support yourself financially.

If you are an unaccompanied foreign child, you will be housed in a centre appropriate for your age and you will be assigned a Guardian, in other words someone responsible for you, who will cooperate with the community and social services to ensure the best possible outcome.

Carta di Identità elettronica [Electronic identity card] (CIE)

This is a personal identification document issued by the town hall to Italian or foreign citizens who hold a valid permesso di soggiorno and who are residing or staying within the area under the jurisdiction of the town hall. The electronic identity card is a card with a microchip and an identification number. It contains:
• details of the citizen;
• a digital photograph;
• 2 fingerprints;
• codice fiscale [tax code]:
• parents’ names (if the identity card is for a child);
• address of residence;
• expiry date.

To apply for an electronic ID card, you need:
• an identity document
• a passport photo in paper or electronic form
• codice fiscale or tessera sanitaria [health card]
• payment receipt for the cost of the CIE and issuing charges.

Registration at the Anagrafe [resident population register]

Registration at the local Council Anagrafe is a right and duty of any Italian and foreign citizen legally residing in Italy, including asylum seekers and refugees. To register, you must be of legal age; registration for children must be requested by their parents or whoever is responsible for them. The town hall has 45 days to carry out the necessary checks and grant residency.

For foreign citizens, residency is a basic requirement for:
• getting an identity card;
• getting an Italian driving licence or applying to convert a foreign driving licence;
• accessing the social services and applying for subsidies or benefits;
• registering with the national health service;
• obtaining a long-term resident’s EC residence permit and recognition of Italian citizenship.

Foreign citizens must submit the following documents to register with the Anagrafe:
• copy of valid passport or equivalent document;
• copy of valid permesso di soggiorno or, if expired, a copy of the permesso di soggiorno and a receipt for the application to renew it;
• translated and legalised copies of original documents certifying the family’s civil status and composition;
• If the citizen is awaiting first issue of the permesso di soggiorno, he or she must provide a copy of the application for the permesso di soggiorno and the nullaosta [clearance]/contratto di soggiorno [residence contract] issued by the Immigration Desk.
• If the citizen is an asylum seeker/refugee
• he or she is not obliged to have a passport,
• if the person is a guest of a community, he or she needs a dichiarazione di residenza [declaration of residence] signed by the person in charge of the facility.

Questure, Prefetture, STEMI [local cultural mediation system], FAMI [Asylum, Migration and Asylum Fund] mediation desks, patronati [patronages], various associations