Learning Italian is the first step towards being able to integrate yourself into Italian society. The right to education is recognised and protected by the legal system. In Italy there are public and private schools where you can study Italian and obtain educational qualifications.

Each Province has its own CPIA – Provincial Adult Education Centre – which offers courses for Italian and foreign adults aged 16 and over. The lessons are held in schools present in the various local municipalities. To register, you need to pay a small fee and provide a copy of your permesso di soggiorno. Students generally take an entrance test to assess the level of language proficiency so that they can be placed in a class at the appropriate level.

What courses does the CPIA offer?
- Italian language literary and learning courses, level A1-A2. .
The Prefecture recognises a level A2 Italian language certificate as valid supporting documentation for an application for the long-term resident’s EC residence permit (formerly known as a residence card).

- first level courses for obtaining a middle-school licence and two-year high school diploma.
A middle-school licence (licenza media) is a qualification that allows access to vocational training.

- learning extension courses (foreign languages, IT, Italian for foreigners, level B1-B2-C1)

Vocational training.
Vocational training courses allow you to learn a trade, combining theory with practice, and obtain a recognised qualification. It is usually necessary to hold a middle-school certificate for these courses, but sometimes a diploma is required. For more information, contact the local training bodies.